S1E2: Make Real Music Faster with Appropriate Repertoire
When you select appropriate repertoire, you can make real music in every rehearsal.
8 common ensemble problems caused by repertoire choice and how to avoid them
- Low student engagement
- Low teacher engagement
- Slow rehearsal pace/progress
- Urgent rehearsal pace
- Student's can't play the music
- It just sounds bad!
- Persistent areas of weakness/lack of development
- Poor student retention in ensembles or music program
The 80/20 rule for choosing repertoire at the right level for your group
Selecting achievable repertoire so you can make real music faster.
- Look at your list of repertoire you have planned to program (or a past concert program). Put a '?' next to all the pieces that are in the '20' category (or are just too hard). Is it 80/20?
- Find one new piece that fits the '80' category for your ensemble
Share your action steps with us on Instagram! Take a photo or screen shot, tag us @conductingartistry and use hashtag #conductingartistryinaction
Keep on learning!
Follow us on Instagram
Join the community Facebook
Check out our videos YouTube