S1E4: The Concert: Creating An Emotional Journey
How to structure a concert
- What is the emotional arc of the performance?
- How do you want the audience to feel?
- Engaging the audience from (before) the first note
Transfigured Night - Norwegian Chamber Orchestra (YouTube video)
Completing The Circle - Considerations for Change in the Performance of Music, Bud Beyer (book)
Methods for planning the shape of a concert
- Using playlists to plan transitions
- Common pitfalls in concert sequencing
Download the Concert Shapes Inspiration PDF
- Take music you have already selected for a performance. Write the titles on small pieces of paper. Play with the different orders of pieces. Draw a shape of the emotional journey of the concert for each different program order.
Share your action step with us on Instagram!
Take a photo or screen shot, tag us @conductingartistry and use hashtag #conductingartistryinaction