S1E6: Discernment: How to Pick Quality Music
What does artistic excellence look and sound like?
- Form, shape & design
- Orchestration & density
- Musical validity
- Appeal & interest to players, audience and us
- Being the adult in the room - training musical palates rather than pandering
Download the Determining Excellence Checklist PDF
Blog post: Why can't the kids pick their own music?
Stephen Budiansky's Washington Post article: The kids play great, but that music...
How to develop your own discernment and taste
- Getting out of the rehearsal room
- Listening beyond your ensemble/genre
- Listening to great (and bad!) performances
- Listen outside classical music
Musical Inspiration for Conductors (Youtube playlist)
- How to listen
- Where to listen
How to select music that is appropriate for your:
Download the Determining Appropriateness Checklist PDF
- Select a work that is new to you and assess its artistic excellence using the checklist.
- Select an upcoming performance in your calendar. Assess the work from Step 1 for its appropriateness to that event using the checklist.
Share your action steps with us on Instagram!
Take a photo or screen shot, tag us @conductingartistry and use hashtag #conductingartistryinaction
Keep on learning!
Follow us on Instagram
Join the community Facebook
Check out our videos YouTube